Thursday, October 06, 2005

Happy Birthday Clint

Google Image Search "Clint Newman" and you get "Jim Higdon."

There was this one time: My friend Jacob lived across the hall from these two guys we never saw. But we heard them. They listened to Palace and the Kinks really loudly. Maybe they crawled out the window. I don't know. Anyway. I ended up in a Dramatic Literature class with this guy Clint. I wanted to be his friend because he looked cool. I found out that he was one of the guys who lived across the hall from Jacob and I started wearing my =seBADoh= T-shirt alot. Finally, he said, "Hey, like your shirt." And I said, "Yeah." Then we were friends.

He and this guy that was the older brother of one of the guys in my high school that was popular started playing music together. The guy, Will Dearborn, had played "Wish You Were Here" with this guy Warren Byrom--the school metal gutiar god--and it was awesome. Very influential. So Clint and Will together was great. My would record sounds and come over to the dorm and play them. Sometimes, we would go to frat parties and steal things: fuses, cue balls, rugs, beer. Will and Clint recorded in the Episcopalian Church late at night. They had a drumset and a guitar and a hand drum.

Once, we were walking back from the quad to Clint and Bob (the other guy in the dorm)'s apartment. There were lots of us and we were loud and drunk. Kara appeard from a bush. As we cut across the parkng lot were Dalton's was (or would be, I don't remember [even earlier in time, it was Video Villa, the first video store in town. Later Video Villa moved to the very edge. Even later: it started to smell]). In a pool of light, under a street lamp: an open bag of candy corn. What a score. I picked it up and we ate from it. So hungry. When we got back to Clint's, he put on a Mekons record and I saw that the bad was full of ants. "You made me eat ants," Bob said. "We are awesome," Clint said, and fell asleep on the floor as people in their thirties started to show up.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

5 comments:

David said...

I don't. Russ?

David said...

Add the word "know" after "I don't." My mind is slipping.

Hmm. Van Pass. How did you know all these people I went to school with?

RIKK said...

Next AP Album Title: "The bad was full of ants."

David said...

Get your hurt ass legs back in bed!

David said...

Van's brother Hunter was in my class. He was cool. The story of jolly. He got in a wreck when we were sophomores and he lost a lot of weight.

These tubs of Hormel Chinese food aren't happening.

D