Saturday, August 04, 2007

Lost in Turkey #6

On the eve of departure.....I am now officially a college graduate. Spending my final hours as a Duke student in Istanbul has been surreal to say the least. A few images from the past couple weeks that have slipped through the blog cracks:


An early Hittite statue.


Phalluses (would you say "phalli"?) for sale at a gift shop in Ephesus.


Turkish cat stretchin'.


Turkish cat frontin': "What the fuck are you lookin' at, chump?"


The view from Assos, on the Aegean Coast, where the temple of Athena is located.


The temple at sunset.


Interior of the Hagia Sophia, one of the 7 Ancient Wonders of the World. Big-ass church/mosque (currently disputed by Muslim community in Istanbul).


On the walk home after my last class, this graffiti appeared.


Saw this dog leaning out a window and immediately thought of Rikk. Why are dogs and Rikk so closely tied in my brain?


Lost in translation. I think this sign was written by a Gullah linguist.


Smoothin' it up with a chocolate cigarilllo (provided by our professor) on a boat on the last night of college. SPOILT.


Bonus footage from the Aegean Coast. A boat full of Russians doing the macarena. You should have seen the other moves they had. We dubbed the boat the "S.S. Skank". The awful harmonica music was coming from our own boat; the only cd they would play had that fucking Proclaimers "I would walk 500 miles" song and this damn harmonica song about West Virginia that turns into a mid-90s techno jam 30 seconds in.

And now, I must leave for my last night in Istanbul--bowling with Turks is on the agenda. See some of you on the other side. I demand a full report on the hoggin'.

No comments: